First Pick
The Packers selected Nick Perry with the 28th pick in the NFL draft. I found this surprising. Perry went to USC and is a defensive end. That is the surprising part. Do the Packers need defensive ends so badly that they need to use a first round pick on one? I think not. I think the idea when drafting him was that he would be great to play on the opposite side of Matthews. Well, who says he is going to be good enough to start? He's used to a 4-3 system and the Packers run the 3-4 on defense. He isn't a Matthews type player. They went to the same college, but that doesn't mean he is the best pick possible for the Packers. The fact that they selected a defensive end in the first round is not productive. He's a great player sure, but the team has enough defensive ends already. In fact, it seems like the Packers already have too many. Being a Packer fan, I hope he comes through and is everything management dreamed of don't get me wrong, but why select a defensive end this early when the team doesn't really need one immediately in the first place. I personally was hoping for the Pack to pick a running back. Starks is not an every down back, neither is his back up. Also, I don't think either of them are good enough to gain the kind of yardage on the ground that the Packers need to go with their passing attack. To me this pick is a definite stretch and their should've been a running back or offensive lineman picked here. Hopefully we see those positions addressed in the upcoming picks.
Second Pick
The second pick for the Packers was used on Jerel Worthy from Michigan State. I liked watching this guy play in college. He really was a good all around defensive tackle. The problem is that the Packers are continuing to not address the positions they need to be addressing in the draft. The team has defensive lineman and can apply pressure. It's well known. With that said, I like the player alot and I hope the Packers find a good use for him. I think he would be a great guy to put in when Raji gets winded. He's 6 foot 3 inches and 310 pounds. He's a good size for the position but the Pack may decide to use him as a defensive end instead. We will just have to see
Third Pick
I was really hoping to see a running back or offensive lineman at this next pick, but I didn't. Instead I saw corner back Casey Hayward from Vanderbilt go off the board. Again, this doesn't address the right position necessarily, but i understand the thought process with this pick. The Pack will need someone to replace Woodson. Hayward is very experienced in his position at the college level. He's also a ball hawk. He's been able to rack up interceptions consistently for his team. Another thing i like about him is his ability to play the run. He plays like he's a linebacker and times and even recorded 7.5 tackles for loss in his senior season at Vandy. His kind of athleticism may also be useful as a returner right off the bat. He's a well rounded player who may have a future in Green Bay.
Fourth Pick
This pick came in the fourth round and is the Packers' worst pick in this year's draft. That's right, they did it again. They made the same mistake they made with the first three picks. For god's sake DRAFT A RUNNING BACK. The Packer's decided to go with another defensive tackle to add to the team. Fantastic. He is Mike Daniels from Iowa. Yeah, he was solid in college, but he is undersized for his position and will have to try to get reps in rotation at the defensive end position. He's fast and has a good motor, but I can't make much sense of this pick. Hopefully he can turn into something in the future.
Fifth Pick
Jerron McMillian was the Packers' fifth pick in the draft. Jerron is a strong safety from Maine. He provides some good size at his position with is 5' 11" 215 pound frame, and i can see him being a Collins type player after a few years with the Packers. He is a hard hitter with a good knack for breaking up passes in the right situations. He isn't the position that i wanted to see go off the board to the Pack, but he can be useful for them down the road.
The Packers finished out the draft with three more picks. They picked an outside linebacker, a quarterback, and an offensive lineman. No running backs were picked by the Packers but their offensive lineman from Florida State is good sized and has a chance to turn into something. Hopefully this is the case. Overall, I give the Packers a C- for their picks in this years draft. Hopefully the team improves and their picks prove me wrong.

No comments:
Post a Comment